Help to support Hawaii’s literary community by attending one of these awesome literary/library events:
Ongoing in December-
- At Kapolei Library: “Dark Clouds over Paradise: the Hawaii Internees Story,” an exhibit presented by the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii, will be on display from December 1 – 19 in the 2nd floor Lobby and can be viewed during regular library hours.
- An exhibit featuring 285 of the latest science, technology, engineering and math books for children from some of the best publishers in the country is scheduled to be on display at the Salt Lake-Moanalua Public Library from December 7, 2009 through January 15, 2010.
- Sacred Hearts Academy present “Black and White,” a photo exhibit at the Hawaii State Library from Thursday, December 10 through January 8, 2010 in the first floor Reading Room. Admission is free. (See photo above)
Friday, December 11
- 10:00am – Author Signing Event – The Volcano Adventures of Keikilani the Kona Nightengale at Parker Ranch in Kamuela on the Big Island. Info
- 02:00pm – Introducing HULO: At Native Books / Na Mea Hawaii they will welcome the release of this exciting new game that is sure to help reinforce and expand your Hawaiian vocabulary. Info
- 03:00pm – Library event at Aina Haina Library: Dr. Robert Yonover, author of “Hardcore Inventing in Hawaii,” will introduce students and parents to the world of inventing and innovation through his Creative Institute of Technology (CIT). This program will feature a slide presentation and hands-on demonstrations of survival gear that was invented in Hawaii. Info
- 04:00pm – Join artist Kim Taylor Reece as he introduces his book titles – Hula I Ka La & Hula Kahiko Collection as well as his Journal and Sketchbook and 2010 calendars. At the AAFES – Hale Koa Hotel Gift Shop. Info
- 05:00pm – Join author Gill McBarnet as she presents her latest children’s book Happy as a Dolphin at Borders Maui Marketplace in Kahului. Info
- 06:00pm – Maureen McCormick, best known as Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch will be signing copies of her bestseller, Here’s the Story at the Borders bookstore in Victoria Ward Centre. Info
- 07:00pm – Signing with Warren Nishimoto, Michi Kodama-Nishimoto and Cynthia Oshiro. They will be signing copies of their new book, Talking Hawai’i’s Story: Oral Histories of an Island People. Barnes & Noble Kahala Mall. Info
Saturday, December 12
- 10:00am – Friends of the Library, Kapolei will host its annual holiday book sale at the Kapolei Public Library from 10am to 4pm.
- 10:30am – “Holiday Season Puppet Times,” featuring puppeteer Christy Lipps, will be held in the Edna Allyn Children’s Room at the Hawaii State Library. 30-minute event.
- 11:00am – It’s Kid’s Storytime at Barnes & Noble Ala Moana featuring I Will Be Especially Careful of the Charlie & Lola series by Lauren Child. Info
- 11:00am – Beckett the Bear Holiday Storytime at Borders in Ward Centre. Celebrate the holidays with Beckett and Borders and don’t forget to donate a book to our Holiday Book Drive partners. Note, this is not a costumed storytime event. Info
- 11:00am – Join author Gaylyn Wong and Chef Marin Weiss as they present their book “What Hawaii Likes to Eat HANA HOU! at the Pearl City Sam’s Club. Info
- 11:00am – Join Chef Sam Choy as he presents his latest cookbook “Poke” at Sam’s Club in Pearl City. Info
- 11:30am – “A Holiday Concert,” featuring the Lutheran Church of Honolulu Choir and Compline Choir, will be presented in the Front Lobby of the Hawaii State Library. Conducted by Carl Crosier, Allen Bauchle, and Keane Ishii, the choirs will perform Christmas carols and songs of the season. (45-min).
- 12:00pm – Maureen McCormick, best known as Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch will be signing copies of her bestseller, Here’s the Story at the Borders bookstore in Pearlridge. Info
- 12:00pm – At Borders in Ward Centre: Storytime and autograph session with children’s book author Vincent Daubenspeck promoting his book May I See the King. Info
- 12:00pm – Join author Jean Watanabe Hee at Borders in Ward Centre signing her latest book Hawaii’s Best Quick and Easy Recipes. Info
- 12:00pm – Join artist Kim Taylor Reece as he introduces his book titles – Hula I Ka La & Hula Kahiko Collection as well as his Journal and Sketchbook and 2010 calendars. At the AAFES – Schofield Barracks. Info
- 01:00pm – Meet the Author Event at Kona Stories book store on the Big Island. Jennifer Cain Bohrnstedt, author of Snapshots of a Century in African American Lives will be on hand. Info
- 01:00pm – Book Signing Event with Alice Inoue, author of Be Happy! It’s Your Choice at Borders in Waikele. Info
- 01:00pm – BOOK LAUNCH- Absolutely Awesome Island Animals by Riley Cooper at the Maui Ocean Center. It’s a children’s book written by a child! Info
- 01:00pm – Join author Maile Getzen as she presents her book title Gift from the Forest at the Maui Ocean Center. Info
- 01:30pm – Join local author Vera Arita as she presents her newest children’s books Can you Catch a Coqui Frog and Animals Sing Aloha at Bishop Museum Member Appreciation Event. Info
- 02:00pm – The Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii’s Holiday Book Fair will happen at the center from 2pm – 4pm. Come talk story with local authors and filmmakers, who will discuss their books/DVDs and answer questions from the audience. Books/DVDs will be available for purchase at the Cultural Center Gift Shop and authors will be able to autograph copies after the panel discussion. Info
- 02:00pm – At the Basically Books book store in Hilo, a Special Performance Event with the Women of Ho’okupu: Jackie Pualani Johnson, Doodie Cruz, Kanani Aton and More! Info
- 03:00pm – Join author Gaylyn Wong and Chef Marin Weiss as they present their book “What Hawaii Likes to Eat HANA HOU! at the Keeaumoku Sam’s Club. Info
- 04:00pm – Maureen McCormick, best known as Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch will be signing copies of her bestseller, Here’s the Story at the Borders bookstore in Waikele. Info
Sunday, December 13
- 01:00am – Come and meet author Stuart Coleman, who has won numerous writing honors. He will be signing copies of his books called Eddie Would Go and Fierce Heart, a book that is entrusted with Eddie Aikau’s life and legacy. Barnes & Noble Ala Moana. Info
- 09:00am – Barnes & Noble Ala Moana are very pleased to welcome students from Roosevelt High School as they share their talents, read stories and do crafts with us. Their drama department and Anime Club will also make an appearance. Check out the Roughrider Menu in the Cafe. Info
- 10:00am – Friends of the Pearl City Library will host a book sale from 10am – 3pm at Pearl City Library. The special features hardcover non-fiction at $1 each.
- 11:00am – Author signing at Barnes & Noble Ala Moana. Come and meet local author Christine Le and illustrator Michel Le. They will be available to sign their book Hawaii Snowman. Info
- 11:00am – Barnes & Noble Kahala is happy to welcome students from Kaimuki Middle School as they share some of their favorite stories, songs and crafts. They will also have a special visit from Tigger! Info
- 12:00pm – Maureen McCormick, best known as Marcia Brady from The Brady Bunch will be signing copies of her bestseller, Here’s the Story at the Borders bookstore in Kaneohe. Info
- 12:00pm – Author Chris McKinney will be signing copies of his latest, Mililani Mauka, at the Borders Express in Mililani. Info
- 02:00pm – Join author Jean Watanabe Hee at Borders in Waikele signing her latest book Hawaii’s Best Quick and Easy Recipes. Info
Remember, all events listed above may be subject to change. Please contact the venue beforehand if you plan on attending.
If you have an event you would like us to help promote, please leave us a comment here or e-mail me at aalba@hawaiibookblog[dot]com. Replace the [dot] with a ‘.’ when you compose the message. Mahalo and have a great weekend!